the pirate fall

Wednesday, June 06, 2007

the african summer

where have the days gone?
honestly, did the california mobile trip really end more than three weeks ago? The days have been a frantic blur, amidst which i am making the hardest decisions i have ever had to make in my life.
California was incredible. We got over 150 contacts who are interested in missions, and now our job has been to keep in touch by calling and emailing, encouraging them to do something with their lives. encouraging them to change the world. encouraging them to come do a DTS!
After we returned to Salem, I was told by the leadership that I was not going to be able to go to Africa this summer. I dont know if i told everyone, but my plan for this summer was that i would go to Uganda/ Sudan with my friend and colleague, Minju. After India and Australia fell through, i desperately wanted this chance. I have wanted to work in Africa for so long, this seemed like the perfect opportunity. I had so many questions, and so many reservations. But i decided to try. So, as you can imagine, being told "no" right after california was a bit heart-wrenching. But something told me to try again. Minju and i sat down and decided to re-submit a preposal to the leadership. But something was holding me back. After having thought that i was supposed to go to India and Australia, i was doubting the fact that God had said to go to Africa. I thought maybe this was simply me just wanting to go. Minju and I decided right then and there to pray, and ask God for a clear answer. I hate being this bold with God, because i am afraid His answer will be something i am uncomfortable with.
So i sat there, and told God i was OK with anything He wanted for me. I was honestly OK with staying here in Salem. I would serve, i would be the best registrar/hospitality preson they have ever had! I would mobilize and recruit, and most importantly, i would have joy, because i serve and amazing God. And then i told him i was also pretty cool with going to Africa, too. I told him i know it didnt make much sense, what with visas and plane tickets and all, but I would go if he still told me.
and then i waited. and in the silence, all i heard was "Go." over and over. and then i felt peace. for the first time in months, i felt real peace. peace that passes ALL understanding. It didnt make sense. Honestly, it would be easier to stay and serve on the base. it would be easy to explain to people why i wasn't going, why i had to stay. logically, it was simple not to go. but that is not what i heard.
my fear disappeared. my questions were quieted. And so we finished the proposal form, and turned it into the leadership. They had already said no, but now i knew what God has said. After a weekend of prayer and consideration, they cleared me to go to Uganda and Sudan. that was a week ago. Since then, Minju and i have sent in our visa apps, bought plane tickets, researched ministries, gotten yellow fever/ spinal meningitis shots and have prayed like crazy for these amazing nations. I am still in shock. God is good.
We leave july 9th, and will return august 28th. I am in for the adventure of a lifetime. my only regret is that i will not be spending any time with my family this summer. the first summer in my life that i will not spend with them. I love my family so dearly. the thing is, i know they are all in support of this. they could not be happier for me, and this gives me more joy than anything.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lo said...

I love this. You're amazing.

2:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home